To our PORTA Family and Community,
Like so many of you, we have spent the last several days and weeks learning about the coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19), which has spread throughout China and to 71 other countries and territories, including the United States.
While there are no reports of COVID-19 in Sangamon/Menard/Cass Counties, our school district is preparing for the possibility that the disease could make its way to our area. The district already has many protocols in place due to the cold and flu season, which we will continue to follow, including periodic deep cleaning of high-touch areas of our building and playgrounds.
With spring break coming up, many of our families may have travel plans. If this applies to you, we strongly encourage you to follow these guidelines:
- Consult the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) information for travelers who currently recommends avoiding all nonessential travel to China and South Korea. The CDC has recommended enhanced precautions for travel to Italy, Iran, and Japan.
- Closely monitor Travel.state.gov to review current travel restrictions from the U.S. Department of
State during this public health emergency. Anyone returning to the U.S. from mainland China is required to self-isolate for 14 days; this includes people with or without symptoms. These recommendations may be extended to travel from other countries with ongoing transmission of
- Regularly check with your commercial airline carrier for changes to outbound and inbound flights.
- Consult with your health care provider or your school nurse before and upon return from travel outside of the U.S., particularly if you plan to visit an area with confirmed COVID-19 cases.
Please know that traveling into areas with confirmed COVID-19 cases could pose a risk of potentially being quarantined for a minimum of 14 days. Additionally, we would ask that you complete our travel survey https://forms.gle/noJW19Cg1yYXxFwH9 so that we can be share information with local health departments in the rare instance one of our students or staff have come into contact with a COVID-19 virus carrier.
Updated information can be found at following links:
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- IDPH Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Sangamon County Department of Public Health
- Sangamon County Department of Public Health COVID-19 Phone Line (217) 321-2606 (Monday
–Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm)
If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call your healthcare provider or our school nurses, Brie and Stephanie at (217) 632-3803. As we receive updates, we will continue to communicate and post information on the PORTA Social Media sites.
Stay safe and healthy,