Porta Community Unit School District #202

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle

July 31, 2020 UPDATE!!

Hello PORTA Families. Please take the time to read our short update on our fall return to learn plans.  After we have gathered information at registration on the number of students planning on beginning the school year utilizing remote learning, we will have a better understanding of our classroom and building spaces.  With this knowledge we will be able to determine if we can maintain social distancing guidelines in classrooms, lunch areas, etc.  We have surveyed parents and staff and will use that information in conjunction with registration data to make a final recommendation to the Board of Education in the upcoming week. Our “Return to Learn” plans remain the same at this point and I would expect that we will have a final decision very soon on whether to return to a full 5 day schedule or incorporate a split schedule at the beginning of the school term.  Again, that determination will be based on our ability to meet Illinois State Board of Education Mandates for social distancing, wearing of face masks and meeting a 50 person per space limit for large groups.  We have made a final decision for the PREK return to learn and at this point we will offer a split week schedule for our PREK Students, so that we can individualize manipulatives and play items to ensure a safer environment.   Our PREK families will also be offered an online curriculum for those who choose not to attend or are not in session as a result of the split schedule.  Information on the PREK format was made available during registration and you can expect your student’s teacher to offer more information in the near future.
 
As you know by now the Governor and IHSA have cancelled most sporting events for late summer and early fall.  At this point Cross Country, Golf and Swimming will continue to be offered at the High School level and we expect the IESA to reverse its decision from last week and allow Softball/Baseball, Golf and Cross Country as well.
 
As we move forward we want to reiterate that families need to be prepared for another lengthy shutdown of the schools this fall.  We have already seen the Governor’s warnings this week and increasing COVID-19 cases and so we can only believe that a shutdown will be imminent if these trends continue.  As such this is a great time to determine if your internet and technology access is adequate and if it is not please investigate options that may be available to you.  The district is currently working on acquiring hotspots and working on programs with local providers to ensure access for families.  If you are unable to garner access please contact your Principals office and let them know your situation.  We will ask you several questions to determine who/what companies might be able to offer access and then help you get the access needed to take part in an online distance learning scenario. 
 
There are many things that can change in the next few weeks, as we are constantly affected by decisions made at the National and State Executive levels.  We are also being affected by COVID-19 delays in materials and shipping for our current construction projects, technology acquisition and in many cases supplies we will need for sanitation and food preparation.  We will do our best to keep everyone up on the latest news so please hang in there and pray for better days and positive decisions.